Saturday 12 March 2022

 

SPRING BREAK WITH FAMILY

We were supposed to link up with Sylvie, Ghislain, Samuel and Natalie in Mexico and spend a week with them at an all-inclusive. COVID got in the way of that plan, so we had to come up with an alternative.

We’d been to the Orlando theme parks before. I don’t think Elva and I will ever tire of them. So they flew down from Bangor, we drove up from Fort Myers, and we met at the nice house they’d rented in Davenport. Sunday was a rest day, time in the pool, time to pick up some grub, and a lesson in billiards for Samuel.

After a day of shopping (a day off for me!), we landed at Animal Kingdom after fighting the Florida traffic for what seemed like an hour. This would be a pattern for the five days we spent together: the only hitch in an otherwise perfect visit. We’d been there a few years ago with Jacques & Co. but hadn’t yet experienced the Avatar ride called “Flights of Passage”, the best virtual experience I’ve ever had!

Hard to explain for those who’ve never been, it’s a 3D flying simulator attraction that allows guests to take flight on a native mountain banshee and soar across the landscape of Pandora. There are some pretty good videos on YouTube but nothing like the real thing. It was well worth the one-hour wait and I’d go again in a heartbeat.

Animal Kingdom was very busy that day, and we spent more time than we’d planned waiting in line for the Kilimanjaro Safari and the Kali River Rapids. It was a very hot day and the thorough soaking we took in the rapids cooled us off wonderfully. After 15,000 steps or so, we crashed early. 

Day 2 at the theme parks saw us visit Typhoon Lagoon, one of my favourites. Due to the threat of thundershowers, the place was quieter than we’d ever seen it. We started with a half-dozen rides on the Crush ‘n’ Gusher, a few more on Miss Adventure Falls, and finished off Round 1 with the water slides. I kept up with the kids as well as I could and eventually made my way to the massive pool, enjoying every one of the big waves that give Typhoon Lagoon its name. Fittingly I suppose, it claims to be one of the world’s largest wave pools. After enduring a lunch-hour downpour, yours truly had a nap, no longer able to keep up with the young’uns.

We’d invited Samuel and Natalie to decide on an activity for the last day, and they chose SeaWorld. I’d never been but I knew what I was in for: rollercoasters! As with the previous day, thundershowers threatened, keeping the crowds at bay. Good news for us as there was hardly a line at the first coaster, Manta. Good God, what a rush! Once you’re strapped in, the seat tilts 90 degrees forward so that you’re suspended from your back. The ride starts with a head-first inverted nose-dive; and that’s just the start of the thrills. It was amazing! 

We tried Mako next. It’s rated as one of the top coasters in the US, and no wonder. You hit a top speed of almost 120 kph and are weightless at least four times! I was pretty woozy when I got off that sucker, let me tell ya. But I had to try one more, Ice-Breaker. It turned out to be a bit of a disappointment but, after three death-defying trips, the old carcass had had enough of the rides.

Elva and I visited Sealand of the Pacific in Victoria, BC, in 1978. We’d seen the orca, sea lion and dolphin shows there and knew what to expect. It was a first for Samuel and Natalie though, and they enjoyed them. I’m not a fan of keeping orcas in captivity. The practice is controversial, due to the separation of their familial "pod" during capture, and their living conditions and health in captivity. Once again, the heavens opened, and we were treated to a couple of too-close bolts of lightning as we tried to find shelter.


We thought our day was finished and called in at Guest Services where a kind attendant gave us complimentary “rain tickets” because of the weather. No questions asked! Then, miraculously, the rain stopped, and the young folk went off in search of the last of the coasters, Kraken. Sylvie, Elva and I spent an enjoyable hour or so people watching before we called it a day. Too soon, we said our goodbyes.

Sylvie & Co. were a bit nervous coming down here. Understandably so. Cases have been higher here than in Canada and virtually no one wears a mask. But, after four days of intense mingling in theme park crowds, they all tested negative before heading home.

Elva and I have been on Florida almost a month now. I’ve ridden almost 800 kilometres and Elva about half that. The Caloosa Riders Bicycle Club is our peer group while we’re here and they’re a great bunch of healthy, active people. We’re comfortable in our modest mobile at Poinsettia Park and enjoying the heat. We go to the beach once a week, I do a bit of HR work, and Elva is deep into a diamond art project. Life is good here. We’re convinced that, all in all, we’re able to stay healthier here than we would be on the Island.



Growing up with my mother in Wellington, I learned that few things are black or white and there are no absolutes. Life just isn’t that simple, and there are at least two sides to every story. I’ve lived and worked comfortably in the grey zone for most of my life and been fortunate that Elva has been by my side on this life journey for going on 54 years. We are not risk-averse. Being in Florida, supposedly surrounded by COVID, may be too far a stretch for some. We respect that. But we keep reminding ourselves that opportunities to spend time with family are too precious to miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment